Friday, June 13, 2008

Road Trip!!

The first week of June, the three of us took a two-day road trip to Omaha, Nebraska. Along the way, (Friday night), we stayed in Colorado Springs, and had dinner with a friend of Daryl's. It was good to see her and finally meet her little girl. Kent and LanaMarie blessed baby Wesson the following Sunday. It was so great to be there with them.



The following Monday, a large group of us drove another 6 hours to Nauvoo, Illinois. We were able to go through a session in the Nauvoo temple. It was so amazing to be there and feel of the spirit and history there. We also saw Carthage Jail, Joseph Smith's red brick store, and many other homes and businesses. One of my favorite places was called Pioneer Pastimes. There were lots of different pioneer games and toys to try. Daniel would have loved it... but he fell asleep before we got there. When we tried to go back, it was closed for the day. Daryl really liked the blacksmith shop and especially the gunsmith shop. I have to admit it was pretty cool. We also did a little window shopping , and bought a few souvenirs and a pioneer hat for Daniel.

On our way back to Omaha, we stopped in Adam-ondi-amen, Far West, Liberty and Independence. What a humbling experience this was for me.














On the way back from Independence we added a little excitement to our lives. A tornado touched down on the highway where we were driving. The three of us and Levi, drove in our car behind Aunt Lanae's van. There were a few time when we could hardly see the tail lights of their van. It was raining harder than I've ever seen before, and then we drove into hail. Apparently sirens went off, but I never heard them. Daryl told me later that we caught a small section of it. I freaked out. We arrived safely in Omaha late that night.
Weather ahead during the storm. Taken by Kent Thorne

The next morning we all took a trip to the Omaha Zoo. Everyone was excited to see the new butterfly pavilion. There were butterflies everywhere we looked. I couldn't take pictures fast enough. There were even some one the path so we had to watch where we stepped.

Daniel's favorite part was the monkeys. He wanted to seen them every chance we get. A little brown one (I forget the name of it) came down and sat on the railing right underneath him. He almost grabbed it's tail. He jumped back into the tree just in time. He loved it.

3 comments:

Marily said...

Hey Bethany, have you seen the video for Carrie Underwood's "So Small?" I have a link to it on my blog--if you haven't seen it you should, it's one of the best music videos I have ever seen.

Bethany said...

I did see it from you blog before. It is great. Did you vote in my poll?

Rachel said...

Hey! You have a blog! Yea!
Congrats on the new baby too! How far along are you?